The cornerstone of Striders membership is access to our regularly scheduled coach-led sessions, which take place on both Tuesdays and Thursdays, mornings and nights. If you are keen to try out a session before signing up then feel free to contact the club for a trial, you’ll find more details HERE.
For the foreseeable future we are asking that all runners (both members and trialling guests) register their attendance using our events calendar here: EVENTS CALENDAR.
The Mill Petrie (Winter*) Bullocky’s Rest (Summer*)
Bunnings Brendale (Winter*) Bullocky’s Rest (Summer*)
The Mill Petrie
*Note: Our Tuesday and Thursday morning sessions are run at different locations between summer and winter based on available lighting. We always aim to have information on our website as up to date as possible but the best way to be sure is to check our South Pine Striders Facebook page as the coach will always post Session details the night before.
Timetable is current as at August 2021 – We suggest all new/trialling members confirm the timing and location of sessions by contacting us directly via Facebook or E-mail. Training locations and times occasionally change due to unforeseen circumstances, special events etc.
- We strongly recommend contacting the coach before attending your first session and also checking the South Pine Striders Facebook page for session details.
- Be prepared – at a minimum we recommend you bring the following to every session
- Wear bright sports appropriate clothing, reflective gear or a headlamp – particularly in winter when it is dimly lit, or if you are attending the evening sessions.
- Be sensible – Bring a water bottle and a towel especially in the warmer months
- Wear a watch / GPS to record your session.
- Junior runners must not be left unaccompanied – if you are the parent or guardian of a junior runner we ask that you stick around for the duration of the session. Our run leaders have basic coaching qualifications but are not in a position to care for unaccompanied minors.
Tim, Paul aka “Dacky” and Stan lead our morning crew with a mixture of moderate trail runs, interval training, hill repeats, fartlek, as well as the occasional run up Clear Mountain. Typically, speed sets are run on Tuesdays and hills are reserved for Thursdays.
Each week Anthony, Jesse, Julia, Peter or Paul will offer a mixture of hill repeats, speed intervals and out and back style tempo runs. Occasionally the night crew will organise a “Striders abroad” session where they run a set somewhere different (ie. Sandgate / Shorncliffe) followed by a social dinner. Most run sessions are designed to last around 40 minutes and sets are generally flexible enough to accommodate runners training for a variety of distances and events.
Weekend Long Runs
In addition to the coach-led sessions our members regularly arrange weekend long runs or ‘LSD’ (Long Slow Distance!). These are less formal and not led by a coach as such although Pam or George are often co-ordinators. These often centre around the Lake Samsonvale area beginning at the Cashmere IGA 5am Saturday. The runs start at about 12km and can go up to 25-30km. Typically, this session are of interest to runners training towards longer distance events, but everyone’s welcome and no one is ever left behind! Other runners go ahead and organise their own Sunday long runs down at the Sandgate waterfront and throughout the Moreton Bay / Pine Rivers region.